As promised, here are the cinnamon buns we made for dad's birthday breakfast.
:: Homemade Cinnamon Buns ::
Dough2.5 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
5 Tbs. butter (melted)
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. butter (melted)
1 tsp. orange peels
Icing3 oz. cream cheese (soften)
4 Tbs. buttermilk
1 c. powder sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl & mix with a fork until blended.
3. In a large bowl, combine (dough ingredients) flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
4. Whisk together buttermilk + 4 Tbs. of melted butter (in separate bowl).
5. Pour buttermilk mixture into middle of large bowl filled with dry ingredients.
Kneed with hands until dough forms - Make sure not to over mix.
6. When dough ball forms, cut in half.
7. On a floured surface, roll out each half.
8. Press filling into rolled dough - half of mixture on each.
Leave edges clear on all 4 sides.
9. Roll dough like a jelly roll up.
10. Pinch seams together & trim the ends.
11. Cut roll into slices about 2 inches thick.
12. Repeat with other half.
13. Place in a greased, non stick baking pan (spiral facing up).
14. Brush rolls with remaining Tbs. of melted butter.
Bake for about 25min or until golden brown.
15. Meanwhile, make the icing: Mix cream cheese & powdered sugar with a fork until smooth.
16. Whisk in buttermilk, 1 Tbs. at a time, until creamy.
17. Drizzle icing onto hot rolls.